Das Hedgehogia!

11:27 AM by Sarah


Das Hedgehogia!, originally uploaded by The Wistful Republic.

Alright, it's official. I am calling it. The hedgehogs have it. I am making my prediction as to the Next Big Thing In Animals and, believe it or not, it is our darling friend the hedgehog. He is starting to crop up everywhere: art, apparel, buttons, brooches...you name it, Hedgie is on it.

Above is a sampling of the best of the best as determined, of course, by me.

(a) Little Odd Forest is the quirky, colorific brainchild of one Ms. Lynda Lye, the Singaporean designer extraordinaire who runs the show. Her products are full of bright, happy colors and frolicking animals. I cannot peruse her shop unless I have money to spend. Green rebel hedgehog 1" pinback button, $1.50, available here.

(b) Kookii:Kooky is another shop full of playful, vibrant colors and an extraordinary dose of whimsy. The Merry Porcupines clutch (yes, yes, porcupines and hedgehogs are not the same thing, but I'm personally deeming that cute little critter a hedgehog so there!) is one such example of the gleeful marriage of cute and color that exists at Kookii:Kooky. Merry Porcupines wrist clutch, $26, available here.

(c) Marmee Craft is one of my favorite finds on etsy.com, featuring whimsical, dreamy color palettes and a plethora of strange and mythical beings. Exploring these works allows passage to a completely different world, a world of misty-eyed, long-necked ladies with flowers for hair and chimerical half-human half-deer hybrids. Not to mention plump little hedgehogs sitting down for a nice cup of tea. Monsieur Hedgehog print, $13, available here.

(d) Last, but certainly not least, is the dear Ms Emily Martin, the lovely lady behind The Black Apple. Emily Martin's work features delicate woodland creatures and quaint but curious little girls with dark hair and big, soulful eyes; girls who seem to have many a secret up their pretty sleeves. I personally own three of her prints (and want desperately to make room on my walls for more). My new favorite might just be the Hedgehog Family print featuring a playful family of hedgehogs in snazzy hedehog-approved garb. This little cupcake is just $13, available here.


Oh, and just in case I haven't quite managed to kill you with cute yet, I invite you to click this link.

Long live the hedgehog!

| 6 comments

6 Comments:
  • Oh my! What a lovely blog!!

    And Thank You ever so much for your lovely write up on my work and shop.....M. Hedgehog is ever so honored by his appearance! :)

    I do love those little hedgies!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 9, 2007 at 11:54 AM  

  • I love Little Odd Forest!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 9, 2007 at 3:14 PM  

  • LOL! Very cute!
    Please check out my blog!
    http://myfairybabies.blogspot.com/
    Hyla

    By Blogger Hyla, at October 10, 2007 at 11:54 AM  

  • I've been noticing that too! Thanks for posting about it... Hedgehogs have long been a favorite of mine and I'm always interested in seeing hedgie themed goodies. :)

    By Blogger Casey Maura, at October 10, 2007 at 2:39 PM  

  • VIVA LOS HEDGEHOGS!
    I am so glad the rest of the world is catching up with my hedgehog love. Since you dig on these little guys i thought you might want to see the pink and purple hedgie my friend knitted for me earlier this year.
    http://thenikiverse.blogspot.com/2007/04/and-name-is.html

    By Blogger Niki, at October 11, 2007 at 7:01 PM  

  • Great blog. I'm lovin' the hedgehogs.

    By Blogger tangente, at January 11, 2008 at 8:35 AM  

Post a Comment
<< Home